Ancient Chinese secret eh? This is a spicy version of the famous dieter's stew with bamboo shoots, shrimp, red pepper flakes and chopped spinach. Delicious stew that is not just for dieters.
INGREDIENTS (for 2 servings):
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh ginger root
- 1/4 cup chopped garlic
- 2 (32 ounce) packages fat-free chicken broth
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 (6 ounce) can mushrooms, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can bamboo shoots, drained
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fructose (fruit sugar)
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 (16 ounce) packages frozen mixed stir-fry vegetables
- 1 pound frozen, peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Stir in ginger and garlic and cook 3 minutes, until tender. Stir together 1 cup broth with cornstarch. Pour cornstarch mixture into pot with mushrooms, bamboo, soy, vinegar, fructose, crushed red pepper and remaining broth. Bring to a boil and cook until thickened.
Stir in frozen mixed vegetables, frozen shrimp and cilantro. Simmer until shrimp is opaque, about 10 minutes. Stir in spinach until just wilted, 2 minutes. Serve at once.