A dear friend shared her version of 24 hour salad with me. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 3/4 pound sliced bacon
- 1 large head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1/4 cup sliced onion
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and sliced
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas
- 1 cup mayonnaise, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 2 tablespoons grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
- 4 tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley for garnish
Spread the lettuce out on a large serving dish or bowl. Sprinkle the onion, celery, water chestnuts and frozen peas (unthawed) over the lettuce in layers. Spread mayonnaise over the top like a frosting. Sprinkle with sugar and grated cheese. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside.
Before serving, sprinkle crumbled bacon over the top, and garnish with tomato wedges, slices of hard-cooked egg, and parsley.