A sweet and sour dressing, with a bit of thickening, is cooked up and poured over red beans and veggies and then left to chill and mellow in the fridge. This is a great salad to serve with picnic food or to pile on a bed of greens for a hearty dinner sala
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 8 ounces mixed vegetables
- 1 (15 ounce) can red beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
In a mixing bowl, combine the mixed vegetables, beans, onion, celery and bell pepper.
In a small sauce pan, combine vinegar, sugar, mustard and flour. Bring to boil, remove from heat and set aside to cool.
Pour dressing over vegetables and toss. Refrigerate for at least 6 hours and serve.