Chocolate, coffee, butter, sweetened condensed milk, eggs and vanilla melt and mingle on the stovetop, and is poured into an unbaked pie shell. Walnuts are arranged on top, and the pie is baked until the filling is set. Serve warm or chilled.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch single crust pie
- 2 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee powder
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup walnuts
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In medium saucepan, melt chocolate and butter or margarine over low heat. Dissolve coffee in 1/4 cup hot water, then stir it into saucepan with sweetened condensed milk, eggs, and vanilla. Mix well. Pour filling into pastry shell. Top with walnuts.
Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until center is set. Cool.