My mom's unusual salad has been popular with friends and family for many years. This salad calls for a lot of ingredients but is worth the effort. If possible, use pickle juice instead of the vinegar.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 tablespoon finely diced onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- ground black pepper to taste
- 2 ounces cooked salad shrimp
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, add the macaroni and let it cook until al dente; drain well.
In a medium-size mixing bowl, combine onion, bell pepper, celery, mayonnaise, sweet pickle relish, ketchup, pickle juices, horseradish, hot pepper sauce, parsley, celery seed, chili powder, salt, black pepper and shrimp. Fold the macaroni into the mixture. Cover and chill at least 3 hours before serving.