This salad is a palate-pleasing combination of shrimp, rice, black-eyed peas, mango and vegetables in a coconut dressing.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1/4 cup light coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fat-free honey-Dijon salad dressing
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lime juice
- 2 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk
- 1/2 cup uncooked white rice
- 10 ounces cooked, peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup peeled and cubed mango
- 1/2 cup cubed cucumber
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onion
- 1/3 cup finely chopped cilantro
In a small bowl, whisk together the 1/4 cup coconut milk, honey-Dijon dressing, lime juice and sugar until well blended. Cover and refrigerate until just before serving.
In a medium saucepan, heat water and 1/2 cup of coconut milk to boiling. Stir in rice. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until rice is tender and liquid absorbed, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and cool.
In a large salad bowl, stir together the cooled rice, shrimp, black-eyed peas, mango, cucumber, red pepper, onion and cilantro. Pour coconut dressing over all and toss.