These are lower in fat than most cookies, but still delicious! Try using whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour, if you wish.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 dash ground allspice
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
Mix molasses, shortening and brown sugar in a large bowl. Stir in flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and spices. Cover and refrigerate about 4 hours or until firm.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
Roll half of the dough at a time to 1/8 inch thickness or paper-thin on a floured cloth-covered surface. Cut into 3 inch rounds with floured cutter.
Place about 1/2 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 1/8 inch thick cookies about 8 minutes; paper-thin cookies about 5 minutes or until light brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheet. Cool completely.
To Make Frosting: Mix 1 cup confectioners' sugar, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and 1-2 tablespoons half-and-half until of spreading consistency. Spread frosting on cooled cookies.