An exotic warm stew that is loved by all and is very easy to make. Also delicious as a vegetarian dish, without chicken. Serve over couscous.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into chunks
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (14 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat, and cook the chicken, onion, and garlic about 15 minutes, until browned.
Mix the squash, garbanzo beans, carrot, tomatoes with juice, broth, sugar, and lemon juice into the skillet. Season with salt, coriander, and cayenne pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil, and continue cooking 30 minutes, until vegetables are tender.