A kalamata/green olive mixture fills a hollowed loaf of Italian bread; add Genoa salami, Provolone cheese, tomatoes and onions and you have one delicious sandwich.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1 cup pitted kalamata olives
- 1 cup pitted green olives
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 (1 pound) loaf Italian bread
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced Genoa salami
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced provolone cheese
- 3 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
Combine the kalamata olives, green olives, basil, garlic and oil in a food processor or blender and process until coarsely chopped.
Cut the top from the bread loaf and hollow out the center so that about 1/2 inch of crust remains. Spread olive mixture evenly over the inside of the loaf. Layer the salami, cheese, tomatoes and onion until the loaf is full.
Replace top of bread, lightly press down and wrap tightly in plastic wrapping. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or up to 1 day. Slice crosswise in about 1 1/2 inch pieces, and serve.