Warmed pita pockets are stuffed with fried plantains, sliced mushrooms, avocado, and arugula.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 3/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 semi-ripe plantain, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 portobello mushroom caps, cut into strips
- 1 avocado - peeled, pitted and sliced
- 4 cups coarsely chopped arugula
- 2 warmed pita bread rounds, cut in half
Heat the coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat, and cook the plantain pieces just until tender but still firm. Remove from heat, and drain on paper towels. Stand the plantain pieces on end, and with a small dish or the bottom of a cup, gently flatten the plantains. Return to oil, and continue cooking until golden brown. Remove from heat, and drain on paper towels.
Place the mushrooms in the skillet with remaining coconut oil over medium heat, and cook until tender.
Stuff pita bread halves with equal amounts of the plantain, mushrooms, avocado, and arugula to serve.