MMMM-mushrooms! Covered in Parmesan and jazzed up with a sprinkle of cayenne pepper, these mushroom bread cups make a fun and delectable hot appetizer!
INGREDIENTS (for 2 servings):
- 1 1/2 (1 pound) loaves sliced white bread
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, finely diced
- 1/2 cup onion, finely diced
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
Use a small cookie cutter to cut rounds out of the bread. Press the rounds into ungreased mini muffin tins, and bake for 8 or 9 minutes until golden; keep a close watch on them, as they bake fast. Turn out bread cups to cool.
Heat butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the mushrooms and onions, and cook until soft, about 8 minutes. Season with cayenne pepper, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and chopped parsley. Gradually stir in half-and-half, and sprinkle with a bit of flour until mixture gets thick.
Fill bread cups with mushroom mixture, top each with a sprinkle of Parmesan, and place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.