Here is a delightful seafood soup that has a light, refreshing citrus flavor from the lemon grass and ginger, with hints of wine and cream. The recipe was created by Suzanne Goin of Luques in Los Angeles, California.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 shallots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 stalks McCormick® Gourmet Collection® Lemon Grass
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Gourmet Collection® Ground Ginger
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped, divided
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Gourmet Collection® Ground Black Pepper
- 20 small fresh clams, cleaned
- 20 fresh mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 lemon
- 4 green onions, sliced on the bias, green and white parts
Heat olive oil in a 6-quart saucepot on medium heat. Saute the shallots and garlic until translucent. Add lemon grass and ginger. Cook 1 minute, then add water. Bring to a boil and simmer 3 minutes. Add half of the cilantro, remove saucepot from heat, cover and let broth steep for 5 minutes.
Heat broth to a boil. Add wine, salt and pepper. Add clams, cover and simmer 2 minutes. Add mussels, cover and simmer 3 minutes.
Add cream and cook 1 minute. When most of the mussels and clams are open, squeeze in juice of 1/2 lemon. Toss in green onions and remaining cilantro. Remove lemon grass stalks before serving.