This is the basic recipe my gram used to use to make her potato salad. It sounds odd, but the anise is really good in this dish.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 6 medium baking potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon anise seed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 hard-cooked eggs sliced, for garnish
- 1 dash ground paprika (optional)
Place potatoes in a saucepan with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil over medium heat, and cook until tender, about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat, drain, and run under cold water to cool. Drain well.
In a large bowl, mix together the potatoes, celery, onion, mayonnaise, and anise seed. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate until cold. Garnish with sliced hard-cooked eggs, and dust with paprika, if desired.
Potato Salad Tips