A splendid marinara is just minutes away when you simmer crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce and tomato paste with garlic, sugar, red wine vinegar, dried oregano and as many red pepper flakes as suits your taste. It's really that simple, and so delicious!
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
In a large skillet combine the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, garlic, sugar, vinegar, oregano and red pepper flakes. Stir all together and simmer over low heat for at least 30 minutes (for the best flavor). Stir frequently to prevent burning.