Bacon lines the pot, then layers of potatoes, onions and fish are smothered in Manhattan clam chowder and crushed tomatoes and simmered until tender.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 1/2 pound bacon
- 7 small white potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 6 (3 ounce) fillets whitefish
- 3 large onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 (10.75 ounce) cans Manhattan style clam chowder
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
Line the bottom of a large pot with bacon. Place a layer of potatoes over the bacon; then a layer of fish, in bite-size pieces; then a layer of onion slices, without separating the rings; and finally salt and pepper. Repeat layers, not including bacon, and finish with a final potato layer. Top with the chowder and crushed tomatoes. Pour in enough water so that all is covered.
Cover and simmer, without stirring, over medium heat, until potatoes are tender -- 1 hour.