I have a stepfather who is a chocoholic and lactose intolerant. This works for him.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 2/3 cup applesauce
- 1 1/4 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 quart soy milk
- 1 cup barley malt syrup
- 2 cups brown rice syrup
- 5 tablespoons egg substitute
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 (10.5 ounce) package crumbled firm silken tofu
- 1 1/2 pounds flaked coconut
- 3 cups chopped pecans
- 6 tablespoons arrowroot powder
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 10-inch round cake pans.
In a large bowl sift together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, soda, and cocoa.
In another bowl mix the brown sugar, oil, 1 cup water, maple syrup, applesauce, vinegar, and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix for 2 minutes. Pour into prepared pans.
Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 to 40 minutes.
Cool and frost with Non-Dairy German Chocolate Frosting. To make frosting: scald soy milk, barley malt syrup, and brown rice syrup.
Mix egg substitute and 1/4 cup water until foamy. Add to milk and syrup mixture and cook until thickened.
Blend tofu in food processor until smooth and add to thickened syrup mixture with coconut, pecans, and arrowroot. Cook for 2 minutes and remove from heat. Cool.