These no nonsense nut burgers are great. I have yet to find a recipe or a restaurant that makes as good of a version. Serve with chips... tortilla, blue corn, sweet potato, or other veggie chips.
INGREDIENTS (for 2 servings):
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1 cup canned chickpeas, drained
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt-free herb seasoning blend
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 slices mild Cheddar cheese
- 1 pita bread round
- 1/4 cup prepared Ranch salad dressing
- 2 leaves romaine lettuce
- 1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
- 1/2 avocado - peeled, pitted and sliced
Place walnuts and sunflower seeds in a dry skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally until lightly toasted and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
In a medium bowl, mash garbanzo beans with a fork, or chop in a food processor. Stir in the onion, egg, parsley, and toasted nuts. Season with pepper and seasoning blend, and mix well.
Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Divide the bean mixture into 2 patties, and fry in the hot oil for about 3 minutes on each side, or until well browned and heated through. Place a slice of cheese over each patty, and remove from heat.
Place the pita round in the same dry skillet the nuts were in, and heat for about 1 minute on each side. Cut the round in half, spread ranch dressing inside of each, and line the pockets with romaine leaves. Place a cheesy patty into each one, and top with sliced tomato and avocado. Serve with tortilla or potato chips.