Sliced apples are tossed with sugar, flour, spices, and butter, along with some rich caramel candies. While the pie bakes, everything melts and mingle with the apples.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
- 6 cups thinly sliced apples
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter, chilled and diced
- 9 caramel squares, quartered
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
In a large bowl, combine apples, lemon juice, sugars, spices, flour, butter, and caramels. Stir to coat fruit evenly.
Roll dough out, and cut out two crusts. Line a pie plate with one of the crusts. Spoon filling into the bottom crust, and cover with the top crust. Crimp the edges. Place the pie on a baking sheet covered with foil. Poke fork holes over top. Sprinkle lightly with granulated sugar.
Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 50 minutes. If you notice overbrowning after 30 minutes, reduce heat to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Serve warm, or at room temperature.