This unusual combination of ingredients in a pot came to us through a friend by way of her mother. Our friend's mom takes food to families who have suffered a death in the family. They take all sorts of things but this always goes first. It is tasty. S
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 pound bratwurst sausage, cut into chunks
- 1 head cabbage, cored and quartered
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon granular no-calorie sucralose sweetener (e.g., Splenda)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ground black pepper to taste
Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add onions; cook and stir until tender. Place the green beans into a large pot with about 1 inch of water. Bring to a boil, and cook for 5 minutes.
Add the cabbage to the pot, and top with the cooked onion. Season with sweetener and salt, then top with bratwurst. Dot with remaining butter. Cook uncovered over low heat for 30 minutes. Stir, and serve.