How can a favorite sweet get any better? Try this healthier version. The only things you'll miss will be a few calories, fat grams, and cholesterol.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 1/2 cups skim milk
- 1 (14 ounce) can nonfat sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 medium bananas, thinly sliced
- 36 reduced-fat vanilla wafers, divided
- reduced-fat frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Garnish: banana slices
COMBINE flour and salt in a medium saucepan; gradually whisk in milks and egg substitute. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, 8 to 10 minutes or until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat, and whisk in vanilla. Cool.
ARRANGE one-third of banana slices in bottom of a 2-quart dish; top with one-third of pudding mixture and 12 wafers. Repeat layers twice, arranging last 12 wafers around edge of dish. Dollop with whipped topping. Cover and chill. Garnish, if desired.
Reprinted with permission of Southern Living® magazine. All rights reserved.