Excellent, satisfying, and smells delicious
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 3 cups day-old bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup raisins or currants
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Spread bread crumbs and raisins in a 9x13 inch casserole dish. In a small bowl mix applesauce, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Pour mixture into the casserole dish.
In another bowl, mix eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, and buttermilk. Pour over the bread mixture. Top with another dash of cinnamon if you wish.
Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes.