A long simmer of tomatoes with ground beef and pork is wonderfully flavored with mushrooms, rosemary, oregano, thyme and a generous measure of red wine. This versatile sauce can be used in your favorite pasta dishes.
INGREDIENTS (for 2 servings):
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 3 cups red wine
- 2 pounds fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 3 (29 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
In a large skillet, brown beef and pork over medium heat until no longer pink; set aside.
In a large skillet, warm olive oil over medium heat and saute onions and garlic until tender; add about 1/2 cup of wine; mix well.
Add mushrooms, rosemary, oregano and thyme to skillet and add another 1/2 cup wine; saute until tender.
Add browned meat, tomato sauce and tomato paste to mixture; simmer for 1 hour and add the remaining 2 cups of wine.
Simmer sauce on low for 2 to 3 hours, stirring occasionally; serve.