Chicken breasts simmered with wine, chicken broth, olives, tomatoes and a smattering of herbs and spices. Serve with saffron rice, if desired.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 8 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 tomatoes, peeled and quartered
- 20 pimento-stuffed green olives
- 1 1/4 cups dry white wine
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth
Season chicken with salt. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat; brown chicken in oil, about 5 minutes each side. Add garlic, bay leaf, thyme and pepper and mix well, then stir in tomatoes, olives, wine and broth.
Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and juices run clear. Remove garlic and bay leaf and serve.