I found this in my collection of family favorites. This is served on toasted French bread. You can also use mushrooms, pepperoni and chopped green or red bell peppers.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- crushed red pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup sliced stuffed green olives
- 1 (1 pound) loaf French bread, sliced horizontally
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
Remove sausage from casings and saute sausage in 2 tablespoons olive oil until browned. Drain to remove excess oil. Remove from skillet and set aside. In skillet, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil, add onions, garlic and saute stirring until onions wilt down. Add tomato sauce, salt, pepper and red pepper to taste. Simmer about 5 minutes on low.
Stir together the sausage and onion and chopped olives. Toast bread lightly under broiler. Top with sausage mix and sprinkle grated mozzarella over all. Broil about 3 minutes under broiler until cheese melts. Watch carefully with oven door open. Remove from broiler, slice and serve.