My mother-in-law always served this salad at Thanksgiving and Christmas in an orange square dish. It's a luscious favorite filled with pineapple and bananas. Top with additional whipped topping and pecans, if desired.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (15 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained
- 1 tablespoon margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 (3 ounce) package orange flavored gelatin mix
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup water
- 4 bananas, sliced
In a medium saucepan over low heat, mix the egg, sugar, flour, 1/2 can pineapple, margarine and vanilla extract. Slowly cook and stir until thickened. Pour into an 8x8 inch dish. Mix in the whipped topping. Chill in the refrigerator 1 hour, or until firm.
Dissolve the orange flavored gelatin mix in boiling water. Stir in remaining water. Chill in the refrigerator 1 hour, or until thick but not firm.
Mix bananas and remaining pineapple into the gelatin. Spread on top of the mixture in the dish. Chill in the refrigerator 3 hours, or until firm.