Traditional cut-out gingerbread cookies are spiced with grated orange peel for a subtle new taste sensation.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 2/3 cup light molasses
- 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup LAND O LAKES® Butter, softened*
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup LAND O LAKES® Butter, softened*
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons milk, plus more if necessary
- Food color, if desired
Combine molasses, brown sugar, 1/3 cup butter, egg and orange peel in large bowl. Beat at medium speed until smooth and creamy. Reduce speed to low. Add all remaining cookie ingredients; beat until well mixed. Cover; refrigerate until firm (at least 2 hours).
Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Roll out dough on well-floured surface, one-half at a time (keeping remaining dough refrigerated), to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut with 3 to 4-inch cookie cutters. Place 1 inch apart onto greased cookie sheets.
Bake for 6 to 8 minutes or until no indentation remains when touched. Cool completely.
Combine powdered sugar, 1/2 cup butter and vanilla in small mixer bowl. Beat at low speed, adding extra milk for desired spreading consistency. Tint frosting with food color, if desired. Decorate cooled cookies with frosting.
* Substitute LAND O LAKES® Soft Baking Butter with Canola Oil right from the refrigerator.