A hearty combination of chicken, rice, Chinese sausage and shiitake mushrooms with soy, sesame, cilantro and ginger yields a potent, Asian-influenced casserole.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 1/2 (3 pound) whole chicken, cut into pieces
- 8 ounces Chinese-style sausages
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1/2 slice fresh ginger root, chopped
- 12 dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked until soft
- 3 cups long-grain white rice
- 2 1/2 cups boiling water
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons thinly sliced green onion
Marinate the chicken and sausages in the soy sauce and 1 teaspoon salt and set aside.
Heat sesame oil in a large, nonstick wok. Stir fry the ginger until fragrant. Add the sausages and chicken and stir fry until brown. Add the mushrooms and fry for another 3 minutes. Stir in the rice and season with salt and pepper.
Transfer the mixture to a rice cooker and add water. When rice is cooked, garnish with chopped coriander and spring onions. Serve.