A very traditional paella, garnished with chorizo, chicken, peas, squid, mussels, and shrimp. Chorizo is a sausage spiced with garlic and chili powder; remove casing before cooking. A paella pan is recommended.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 ounces chorize sausage, cut into pieces
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 (12 ounce) package uncooked Arborio rice
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 pinch saffron
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 2 squid, cleaned and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- 12 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 pound mussels, cleaned and debearded
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian flat leaf parsley
- 8 slices lemon, for garnish
Heat olive oil in paella pan over medium heat. Add in onion, garlic and pepper; cook and stir for a few minutes. Add chorizo sausage, diced chicken, and rice; cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in 3 1/2 cups stock, wine, thyme leaves, and saffron. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, and simmer for 15 minutes; stir occasionally.
Taste the rice, and check to see if it is cooked. If the rice is uncooked, stir in 1/2 cup more stock. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally. Stir in additional stock if necessary, up to 2 cups additional stock, 5 cups total. Cook until rice is done.
Stir in squid, tomatoes, and peas. Cook for 2 minutes. Arrange prawns and mussels on top. Cover with foil, and leave for 3 to 5 minutes.
Remove the foil, and scatter parsley over the food. Serve in paella pan, garnished with lemon wedges.