Deftly spiced with ginger, garlic and cumin, this stewed chicken with potatoes, bell peppers and a dollop of yogurt is so easy to make and so tasty, too.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1 (4 pound) chicken, cut into pieces
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger root
- 2 teaspoons garlic paste
- salt to taste
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 potatoes
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped cilantro, for garnish
In a large pot put chicken, with oil and yoghurt, over medium heat. Stir together and add the cumin, red bell peppers, ginger, garlic paste, salt and green bell peppers. Stir all together, cover pot and simmer over low heat until the oil separates.
Meanwhile, dice the potatoes into large chunks. When the chicken looks cooked and is no longer pink inside (after 20 to 30 minutes), add the potatoes and cook on low heat until tender, adding a little water if necessary. When chicken and potatoes are done, turn off heat. Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve. Enjoy!