This spicy vegetable side dish gets its enticing flavor from a blend of garam masala, turmeric, and paprika.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 whole black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water, divided
- 1/2 medium head cabbage, chopped
- 2 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups frozen green peas
Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat, and stir in onions, garlic, and peppercorns. Saute until onions are tender. Mix in ginger, garam masala, turmeric, paprika, red pepper flakes, and salt. Stirring constantly, cook until onions are thoroughly coated with the seasonings.
Stir 1/4 cup water into the saucepan. Mix in cabbage, potatoes, tomatoes, and remaining water. Increase heat to medium-high. Continue to cook, stirring often, until all vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. Stir in the peas during the last 5 minutes of cooking.