There couldn't be a better way to prepare freshly caught wild brook trout. Serve with a side of creamy mashed potatoes and steamed Swiss chard.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 4 whole (12 ounce) trout, cleaned with tails and heads on
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lemons - cut into wedges, for garnish
Remove gills from fish and discard. Rinse fish under cold water.
In a large skillet heat oil over medium heat.
In shallow dish, combine the flour, cornmeal, salt and pepper. Raise heat to high. Dredge fish in flour mixture and fry in hot oil for about 4 to 6 minutes on each side or until meat flakes with a fork. Serve garnished with lemon wedges.