This bread is excellent when sliced, topped with shredded Mozzarella cheese and a layer of sliced pepperoni, and baked in the oven until the cheese melts.
INGREDIENTS (for 2 servings):
- 2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 2 tablespoons margarine, softened
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 4 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
Sprinkle yeast over water in large bowl. Let stand a few minutes, then stir and dissolve yeast. Add sugar, salt, margarine, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, oregano and 3 cups of the flour. Beat at slow speed for 2 minutes. Beat in rest of flour; cover the bowl with a sheet of wax paper and a kitchen towel. Let rise in a warm place 45 minutes, or until doubled in volume.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease one round, 2-quart casserole. Set aside.
Stir batter down for 1/2 a minute. Turn batter into casserole. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese.
Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 55 minutes.