The chickpeas make the pasta nutty and crunchy and the Parmesan cheese stirred in just before chilling adds a wonderful creaminess. There are also peas, oil-cured olives, green onions and fresh herbs. Chill overnight. Serves six.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1 (16 ounce) package rotelle pasta
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped oil-cured olives
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, add pasta and cook until al dente. Drain and rinse under cold water. Set aside to chill.
In a large skillet heat the olive oil over medium low heat. Add the olives, oregano, parsley, scallions and chick peas. Cook over low for about 20 minutes. Set aside to cool.
In a large bowl toss the pasta with the chick pea mixture. Ad the vinegar, grated cheese and salt and pepper to taste. Let sit in refrigerator overnight. When ready to serve taste for seasoning and add more vinegar, olive oil and salt and pepper if desired.