Lindsay® Black Olives or Lindsay® Green Ripe Olives - or even a mixture of both - are tossed into this Pasta Rustica, bringing together the flavors of sweet bell pepper, mellow olive oil, and spicy pepper flakes. Finish with Parmesan cheese, and
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1 pound rotini or fusili pasta
- 6 slices bacon
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes, undrained, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup Lindsay® Black Ripe Pitted Olives or Lindsay® Green Ripe Select Olives sliced, drained
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large deep skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Drain bacon on paper towel; cut or break into 1/2-inch pieces.
Discard bacon drippings from skillet; add oil. Cook onions in oil over medium heat 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add bell pepper, parsley, garlic and pepper flakes; cook 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and reserved bacon; simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in olives and oregano; simmer 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt, if desired.
Drain pasta; toss with sauce and cheese. Transfer to serving plates and serve with additional cheese, if desired.