An easy do-ahead dish perfect for potlucks and dinner parties. This hearty and flavorful vegetarian dish can easily be made vegan and will satisfy everyone.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1 (16 ounce) package seashell pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced (optional)
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Oil a 9x13 inch baking dish.
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook pasta in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes, or until al dente. Drain.
Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook onion in oil until soft, then add garlic and red and green peppers. Stir in jalapeno, if desired. Continue cooking for 2 more minutes. Stir in tomatoes and garbanzo beans. Season with basil, oregano, paprika, cumin, coriander, and salt and pepper. Simmer with 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in pasta. Transfer to prepared baking dish, and top with cheese.
Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.