Ground beef, beef broth, lots of garlic, tomatoes, ditalini pasta and kidney beans are seasoned with thyme, basil, oregano and parsley in this traditional soup.
INGREDIENTS (for 2 servings):
- 3 pounds lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 4 cups chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 2 (4.5 ounce) jars bottled minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 8 (14.5 ounce) cans beef consomme
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 2 cups ditalini pasta
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
In a large pot over medium heat, cook beef until no longer pink. Drain and set aside.
In the same pot, heat the olive oil. Cook onion, celery, garlic and black pepper until vegetables are tender, 10 minutes. Stir in beef consomme, crushed tomatoes and tomato paste. Season with thyme, basil, oregano and parsley. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 1 hour. (At this point, you may put the pot on a back burner to keep warm and continue with the next steps about 1 hour prior to serving, if you wish.)
Stir in the beef and simmer 15 minutes. Stir in the pasta and cook until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in the beans and heat through, 10 to 15 minutes.