A puree of tofu, roasted peppers, tomato paste, vegetable broth, balsamic vinegar and Italian seasoning is stirred into sauteed onion, garlic, asparagus and mushrooms. Add a dab of hot chili paste if you dare, and serve the sauce over cooked pasta.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 16 ounces colored rotini pasta
- 1 (16 ounce) jar roasted red bell peppers
- 9 ounces low-fat, firm silken tofu
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 10 spears asparagus, sliced diagonally
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon hot chile paste (optional)
- ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
In a large pot with boiling salted water cook pasta until al dente. Drain well.
Meanwhile, in a blender or food processor puree roasted red and yellow peppers, tofu, tomato paste, vegetable broth, balsamic vinegar, and Italian seasoning. Set aside.
Coat a medium saute pan with cooking spray. Cook onion, garlic, and asparagus over medium heat until tender, about 5 minutes. Add water if necessary to prevent sticking. Stir in mushrooms; cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until mushrooms are tender and soft. Stir in tofu sauce, tomatoes, black pepper. Add hot chili paste, if desired. Reduce heat to low, and heat through.
Toss pasta with sauce, and serve with Parmesan cheese.