A flavorful puree of spinach, tofu, lemon juice, garlic, chicken broth, Parmesan cheese, pepper and Italian seasoning is added to sauteed onions and mushrooms to make a mouthwatering sauce for hot pasta. Add bacon bits and Parmesan to serve.
INGREDIENTS (for 5 servings):
- 16 ounces fresh spinach, washed and chopped
- 6 ounces low-fat, firm silken tofu
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/8 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 10 ounces fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces fresh sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 cup bacon bits
- 1 pound penne pasta
Cook pasta according to package directions.
While pasta is cooking, in food processor or blender, combine spinach, tofu, lemon juice, garlic, broth, cheese, pepper, and Italian seasoning, process until smooth. Set aside.
Spray a large non-stick saute pan with cooking spray. Over medium heat, cook onions and mushrooms until tender. Reduce heat to low, add pesto mixture and heat until hot.
Toss pasta with sauce and bacon bits. Serve with additional Parmesan cheese, if desired. NOTE: If sauce seems too thick, thin to desired consistency with pasta cooking water or broth.