An easy weeknight recipe and an interesting variation on plain tomato sauce, with chopped pickled jalapeno and tequila. Clam juice adds a nice salty bite without tasting 'fishy,' and lime juice lends brightness.
INGREDIENTS (for 2 servings):
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped pickled jalapeno pepper
- 1 (14.4 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tequila
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 (8 ounce) bottle clam juice
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper
- 1/4 pound dried elbow macaroni
- 1 lime, juiced
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in onion, garlic, and jalapeno; cook until onion is soft and translucent. Stir in tomatoes, tequila, water, clam juice, and red pepper. Bring to a boil, then add macaroni. Cover, and simmer, stirring frequently, until pasta is tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in lime juice.