If you're looking for a new twist on tomato sauce, you've found it in this recipe! Tomatoes are simmered with onion, garlic, bell peppers and peanuts.
INGREDIENTS (for 5 servings):
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 1/3 cup crushed peanuts
- 4 large tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups water
- onion salt to taste
- garlic salt to taste
- ground cayenne pepper to taste
Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Saute white and red onion, garlic, bell pepper and peanuts for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, water, onion salt, garlic salt and cayenne pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer at least 30 minutes; simmering for 1 1/2 hours is optimal.