Fresh pears are cooked with a variety of whole citrus fruits, apple, dried apricots, raisins and currants in spiced grape juice. If properly sealed, these preserves will keep for one year.
INGREDIENTS (for 9 servings):
- 6 cups white sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 pounds pears - peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 large orange, quartered with peel
- 1 lemon, quartered and seeded
- 1 tart apple - peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1 cup grape juice
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 3 cups raisins
- 2 1/2 cups dried currants
In a large pot, combine the sugar, cinnamon, allspice, cloves and salt. Mix well.
Into the same pot, add the pears, orange, lemon, apple and apricot. Mash together.
Stir in the grape juice, vinegar, raisins, and currants. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring often. Simmer, uncovered, until thick.
Spoon into hot sterilized jars to within 1/4 inch of jar top. Seal. Check seal the top of the lid lid should not move when pressed. If seal isn't good refrigerate and use within 1 week. If stored in well sealed containers in refrigerator, it keeps at least one year!