There is nothing shy about the flavors in this zesty sauce. Liven up any pasta with a riot of onion, garlic and mushrooms cooked with pancetta, capers, olives, red wine, anchovies, hot red peppers, tomatoes and some fresh basil leaves.
INGREDIENTS (for 5 servings):
- 1 1/2 pounds penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 4 cups canned whole tomatoes, crushed
- 3 tablespoons capers
- 1/2 cup pitted and halved green olives
- 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 3 anchovy filets, rinsed and chopped
- 6 leaves fresh basil
- 1 pinch salt
- ground black pepper to taste
- 2/3 cup red wine
- 1 cup fresh sliced mushrooms
- 6 1/2 ounces pancetta bacon, finely chopped
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
Heat the extra virgin olive oil in a large skillet and saute the onion until transparent. Add garlic and saute until soft, then the pancetta and cook until bubbling and transparent.
Add the capers, mushrooms, olives, hot red pepper, anchovies, salt (use only a pinch because of the anchovies), ground black pepper and wine.
Simmer until the wine is reduced by half, then add the tomatoes. Cook for 10 minutes longer, add the basil leaves, then toss in the cooked pasta and sprinkle generously with cheese and parsley. Serve immediately.