Olives and cilantro top penne pasta served with a lightly sweet, warmly spiced mango sauce.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1 (16 ounce) package dry penne pasta
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 mango - peeled, seeded and diced
- 2 red onions, cut into strips
- 1 small fresh red chile pepper, diced
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 whole cloves
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 (4 ounce) can pitted black olives
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add penne pasta, and cook for 9 to 13 minutes or until al dente; drain.
Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat, and stir in mango, red onions, and chile pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes, until onions are tender. Mix in tomatoes and wine. Stir in the bay leaf, cloves, and cinnamon stick. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes.
Remove bay leaf, cloves, and cinnamon stick from the mango mixture. Season with salt. Mix in honey and red wine vinegar. Serve over cooked pasta with cilantro and olives.