A tart lemon glaze contrasts sweet onions and red bell peppers in this lively chicken saute.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 2 large sweet onions, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into cubes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pinch ground cayenne pepper
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
In a large skillet, heat oil. Saute red bell peppers and onions until they begin to soften. Remove from skillet with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add cubed chicken to skillet and brown lightly. Add garlic and ground red pepper. Reduce heat slightly and saute, covered, for 1 to 2 minutes, until garlic is golden brown.
Using a wooden spoon, add lemon juice, stirring to break up particles on bottom of skillet (deglazing). Add butter/margarine, stirring and blending well into the sauce. Return bell pepper and onion to skillet, stir all together and add parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.