This dish is different than the typical red sauce pasta dish. It's light, but not wimpy. You can use any color of pepper in this sauce.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 green bell peppers, cut into 1/4 inch strips
- 8 ounces kalamata olives
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 cup white wine
- 32 ounces tomato-vegetable juice cocktail
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pinch white sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
In a large skillet, heat the oil on high and add the garlic. Reduce to medium high and cook until the garlic begins to turn golden, then add the peppers. Cook until the peppers are soft and turning brown around the edges. Add the olives and crushed red pepper and stir. Pour in the wine and cook for 2 minutes.
Add the tomato-vegetable juice cocktail, basil, oregano, sugar, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium. Cook until liquid is halved. Stir in parsley. Serve over your favorite pasta.