This pesto is unique due to the arugula, which gives it a peppery bite. I also like the lack of cheese, but add it if you must. Use as a spread or on pasta. My favorite is on baguette slices or on whole wheat crackers. It's addictive!
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 1 1/2 cups baby arugula leaves
- 1 1/2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 2/3 cup pine nuts
- 8 cloves garlic
- 1 (6 ounce) can black olives, drained
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pinch ground cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
Place the arugula, basil, pine nuts, garlic, and olives in a food processor, and chop to a coarse paste. Mix in olive oil, lime juice, vinegar, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Process until well blended and smooth.