Spicy German cookie
INGREDIENTS (for 3 servings):
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup light molasses
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar for decoration
Stir together flour, sugar, baking soda, spices, and dash black pepper.
In large saucepan, combine molasses and butter; heat and stir until butter melts. Cool to room temperature.
Stir in eggs. Add dry ingredients to molasses mixture; mix well. Cover. Chill several hours or overnight.
Shape into 1" balls. Place on greased cookie sheet.
Bake at 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) for 12 to 14 minutes or until cookies are done. Remove. Cool. Roll in powdered sugar.