This spiced cookie, traditionally prepared at Christmas, features black pepper. 'Pfeffernusse' is the German word for 'peppernuts.' The black pepper enhances the spice taste without adding heat.
INGREDIENTS (for 2 servings):
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Lemon Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Anise Extract
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Ground Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Ground Black Pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon McCormick® Ground Nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon McCormick® Ground Cloves
- 1 3/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- confectioners' sugar
Place brown sugar and butter in large mixer bowl. Cream with electric mixer until smooth and fluffy. Beat in eggs and extracts. Add remaining ingredients, except confectioners sugar, to sifted flour and sift again. Gradually add to butter mixture, mixing well. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Shape teaspoonfuls of dough into ovals and place 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 10 minutes.
Remove from cookie sheets and place on wire racks. Sprinkle with confectioners sugar while cookies are still warm. When cookies are cool, store in airtight containers.