A pheasant and mushroom lover's dream! The gameyness of the pheasant and the gameyness of the mushrooms validate each other splendidly! Killer! Spoon over cooked pasta or rice, and top with grated parmesan cheese.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1 (.5 ounce) package dried forest mushroom blend
- 1 (.5 ounce) package dried shiitake mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pheasant - deboned, skinned and cut into small chunks
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1 portobello mushroom cap, chopped
- 3 tablespoons sliced oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- salt to taste
In a small bowl, reconstitute dried mushrooms in water according to package instructions. Drain, and reserve the water. Chop reconstituted mushrooms into small pieces.
Heat olive oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Saute pheasant meat with garlic and basil until lightly browned. Remove meat from pan with a slotted spoon, and set aside. Add butter to oil in skillet. Saute shallots, reconstituted mushrooms and portobello mushroom until golden brown. Stir in sun-dried tomatoes, and all but 1/4 cup of the mushroom soaking water. Dissolve arrowroot powder in water, and stir into mushroom mixture. Return pheasant meat to skillet, and simmer 30 minutes.