Ground beef, onions, green bell peppers, garlic and tomatoes, stewed together and seasoned with cloves, cinnamon and bay leaves. Can be served alone or with rice.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 7 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups chopped green bell pepper
- 3 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 (5 ounce) jar green olives, pitted and halved
- 5 ounces capers, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
- 6 cups canned tomatoes, half-drained
In a large stock pot, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Saute garlic, onion and green pepper until onions are transparent. Transfer onion mixture to a bowl and set aside. In the same pot, heat the remaining olive oil and brown the ground beef.
In a separate saucepan, combine the olives, capers, vinegar, salt, pepper, cinnamon, cloves, bay leaves and hot sauce. Let simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes.
Place the olive mixture and the onion mixture into the pot with the ground beef. Add the half drained tomatoes and cook for 1 hour over medium heat; stirring occasionally.